Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Brown Sugar Cookies Are Underrated!

I have to say, I love the sugar cookie. I remember a few times in high school, my friends and I would go out and buy a tub of refrigerated Sugar Cookie Dough and demolish it. Yum.

Well, these days, after some time in commercial kitchens, I'm happy to say that my palate has become a bit more refined. Brown sugar is one of my favorite ingredients to bake with -- it's flavor profile so much more delicious and complex than regular 'ole sugar. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the molasses and nutty tones of brown sugar enhance any pastry (and it tends to keep longer).

That being said, Brown Sugar Cookies might be my favorite kind of cookies. That's kind of a big deal for me. Anyway, after baking up a few batches a few days ago, I thought I would share my recipe with you. These cookies go great with summer fruits -- both berries and stone. They also make wonderful ice cream sandwiches. No matter how to eat them, I can promise you this: you are going to love them.

Annie's Brown Sugar Cookies
** This recipe makes a ton of cookies -- it can easily be halved, or I would bake half and refrigerate the rest. The dough keeps well for a few days this way.

Ingredients:

7 oz unsalted butter, divided (5 oz browned, 2oz cold)
1/4c. sugar
2c. brown sugar (I usually use light, but you could make these even better by using 1c. dark and 1c. light)
1 egg + 1 yolk
1T + 1t vanilla extract (I sometimes use about 1/2 of a vanilla bean if these are for a special occasion)
10 1/2 oz. AP flour
1/2t baking soda
1/4t baking powder
1t salt (I like to use Kosher salt)


Method:
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Cream butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the egg & yolk slowy and then beat on high until light and mousse-like. I find that really whipping the eggs adds a lot of volume to these cookies. Add the extract. Mix until well incorporated.
3. Combine dry ingredients. Either whisk together or sift and with mixer on low, slowly add to wet ingredients. Mix until just combined (don't overmix or the cookies will toughen up)
4. Use cookie scoop or spoon to evenly place dough on silpat or parchment-lined sheet pan. These cookies will spreada bit, so give them some room.
5. Bake for about 15-18 min. I always say, bake them "until they are done." That means different things to different people. I like these underbaked, so about halfway through, I turn them and then take them out when they look juuuust underbaked. They will come out soft and billowy, but will flatten and settle once they're cool.
6. Cool them for about 10 min on the pan and then move to a wire rack to cool completely.
7. ENJOY!

Let me know what you think of these! I love to get feedback, so comment or RT on twitter. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment